Home

General Information

About Us


CVC Audit Information Download


Contact Us


Display Advertising


Ad Sizes and Samples


Classified Advertising

Communities

Communities Served


Community Resources

-$- Online Store -$-

Digital Online Subscription


Order A Classified Ad Online


Place Assumed Name Notice


Cook County Legals Printed Here


Kane County Name Change - $85


Place Obituary Notice


Download Sample Paper

Submission of News

Engagement Submittal


Birth Announcements


News & Photos


Sports Scores

Lifestyle Features and Videos

Food and Lifestyle


Lifestyle Videos


Seasonal Widget


Crossword and Sudoku Puzzles


Mug Shot Mania News

Online News and Commentary

The Examiner U-46 News Feed


Cheap Seats 2021


Cheap Seats 2020


Cheap Seats 2019


Cheap Seats 2018


Cheap Seats 2017


Cheap Seats 2016


Cheap Seats 2015 B


Cheap Seats 2015


Cheap Seats 2014


Cheap Seats 2013


Cheap Seats 2012


Cheap Seats 2011


Cheap Seats 2010


Ramey DUI Video


Representative Randy Ramey pleads guilty to DUI


Bartlett Volunteer Fire Department Street Dance


The Truth about Global Warming


Examiner Editorials and Cheap Seats from the past

Forms and Newsstand Locations

Newsstand Locations


Carriers needed


Legal Newspaper

The Examiner U-46 News Feed

Lighting strike creates emergency U-46 expense


By Seth Hancock
  The Board of Education in School District U-46 unanimously approved, of an emergency proposal, presented and approved the same evening, at its meeting on Monday, Nov. 2 which was held electronically due to COVID-19 regulations.
  The item was an emergency chimney repair at Elgin’s Abbott Middle School, the repairs already having taken place between Sept. 21 and Oct. 26 by Jimmy ‘Z Masonry Corp, Crystal Lake. The total cost was $126,054 and will be paid for through the operations and maintenance fund.
  “During a thunderstorm, the chimney at Abbott Middle School was struck by lightning, which caused considerable damage,” the proposal stated. “Without performing emergency repairs, there was an imminent risk of failure, including falling debris and damage to the physical structure of the building. This issue would also make it impossible to use the chimney to support the boilers’ operation during the heating season.”
  The proposal added that “the storm caused substantial damage that needed to be fixed in order to address both a safety and operational hazard.”
  Sheila Downs, director of plant operations, said that the lightning strike took place at “the end of July” when asked by Sue Kerr, the board’s president.
  Abbott’s chimney is 88 years old and was tuckpointed in 2015 during a larger capital project at the school. It was “in good condition prior to the storm,” the proposal stated.




©2021 Examiner Publications, Inc.

Website Powered by Web Construction Set